Friday, October 23, 2009

Cartoons

Before I get started, I just wanted to say that I never got into the Disney Channel. I used to wake up to it on school mornings and watch a couple of cartoons, but I never watched it after school.

Also, my girlfriend helped me out with this post because she's better at ranting than I am. :P We agree on all of this, though.

I don't watch cartoons much anymore. It's not because I don't like them, because I still like to watch some cartoons that I used to watch. It's because a lot of them just plain stink nowadays. :P I've tried watching some lately, and I just couldn't get into them. They weren't funny or interesting or anything like that.

I guess I'll start with Nickelodeon. That was the channel my girlfriend and I always used to watch for a while. I remember even in the beginning there were shows that I didn't like. There were more that I did like than what I didn't, though. That was until The Wild Thornberries came out. That was the first bad show to come out in a while then. Well, it was kind of good at first, and it's not a bad idea for a show, but it just wasn't played out very good. All That started getting worse around that time, too. It was getting rid of some of the funnier people from that show, especially Keenan and Kel.

My girlfriend and I still watched it a lot, though, but we usually turned off the TV and did something else while those two shows were on. We kept watching it until one other show came on, though. Rocket Power. Now that one is one of the worst cartoons that I've seen. I understand why it was made because I know some people were able to relate to it, since those extreme sports were getting real popular and all that. I never cared for them, though, but I still thought the show was stupid. I didn't like how those kids were basically about the best in the world at just about everything they did, and that's all they did was sports stuff. It wasn't interesting at all. Also, maybe except for the kid with the glasses, none of the characters were really interesting. I don't even know why it was called Rocket Power. I thought at first that it would be about rockets and space and stuff. :P Maybe that's what it should've been about. My girlfriend likes Sci-Fi lots, so that would probably interest her.

That was about the time we quit watching Nickelodeon, mainly because Rocket Power was horrible, but The Wild Thornberries and All That getting worse were also reasons. I haven't watched it much since then, but usually once a year, I'd check back on it to see if the show I was watching was any good, or if I heard about a show, I'd try and watch it. There was nothing good that came out through all of that time, even nowadays (maybe except Spongebob Squarepants, but I didn't watch it much). The worst show I saw is that El Tigre show. It's not as bad as Rocket Power was, but it was close.

But now I want to talk a bit about Cartoon Network. Cartoon Network is better overall than Nickelodeon, because for a while they never had a bad show, and even though most of them aren't good now, there is at least one good one which I think is cute. The Mr. Men Show. I always liked those old Mr. Men books, and I like this show a lot, too. So cute. ^_^

Anyway, it not only had more good shows, the shows that were good were a lot better than most of the shows on Nickelodeon. Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy is still one of my favorites (I even saw the movie!). :) Even that show got worse ever since the characters on it went back to school, but it was still kinda funny.

The first stinker was The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. It wasn't a bad idea, and I liked the pilot episode, but it got old and stupid after a few episodes. The character's personalities started to get way out of proportion, such as Billy becoming more stupid as it went on. That and I didn't like Mandy. She was a meanie-butt. :P

But that wasn't nearly as bad as Kids Next Door. There was nothin good about that show at all. The characters were boring (though number 3 was cute sometimes ^_^) and the show seemed like it was trying to be funny when it wasn't. I didn't laugh throughout the whole first season, and not even for the pilot episode. The show was almost as bad as Rocket Power and El Tigre. It was a good idea for a show, but the person who created it just didn't do a good job on it. Oh well.

Anyway, I still love cartoons. I still love watching all of the old ones I used to watch. I get nostalgic like that a lot, and I'm glad my girlfriend doesn't mind that I still like some kid stuff. At least, I'd like more of it if it was better. It seems all they do know nowadays is use stereotypes (El Tigre) and use the same jokes (Chowder) nowadays. I hope that changes soon.

P.S. I may be posting about Total Drama Island soon. I didn't watch every episode, but I feel like posting about it anyway. Also, my girlfriend got an idea from my idea to post about Drawn Together. Yay, two animated reality shows! Of course, she had to take the nastier one. :P She would've chosen that one anyway because she said she has more to say about it.

No comments: